Friday, September 14, 2012

Week Three Blog- Myth of A Model Family


A Balanced Perspective
            What are the criteria for a family?  Some would argue that a family is made up of the people with whom you are in a close relationship.  Yet despite the logic of that solution, could there be something missing?  A model family is portrayed consisting of a mother figure, a father figure and children.  While this “formula” for a family may vary in some situations, it tells us something.  Each member of a family adds something special to the family unit that other members could not provide.  A nurturing mother would find it difficult to portray well, the strong leading characteristics of a male father figure and vice versa.  The children in this situation would also be confused as to who they would follow. 
In each person there is engrained a need for both a mother and father figure to compose a family.  Now I do not mean that all families will be perfect if they have a mother and father figure, as we have seen through history individuals fail to fulfill completely their role as a parent.  I am simply stating the need for the mother and father figure.  While there are strong disagreements as to whether a two people of the same sex can fulfill the natural needs for a father and mother figure, and whether homosexuals should be allowed to marry, the true answer must come from the evidence. (Colombo, 84-85)  From my experience, growing up in a two parent home, similar to the model family, I believe that I this protected me from much trauma growing up as a child, several my friends around me experienced.




BIBLIOGRAPHY
Colombo, Gary, Robert Cullen, and Bonnie Lisle. "Prop 8 Hurt My Family." Rereading
America: Cultural Contexts for Critical Thinking and Writing. 8th ed. Boston: Bedford of St. Martin's, 1995. 84-85. Print.
            

3 comments:

  1. Yours was very short and straight to the point. I think that it was really good and supported well. I also would like to see a little more commentary or even evidence, but otherwise you did great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Written well, but I wish you would have referenced the essays more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you brought up the roles of family members. Everyone plays their own part and it is difficult to have other members try to fill the others spot. I had not thought about this point until I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete