Saturday, November 3, 2012

Self Empowerment; Malcolm X

.       Last week our class looked at education and empowerment and how it relates to the social class.  Students who were found in lower income schools generally received a much poorer quality education that those who attended a school with higher funding.  Morale was higher at these schools as well as student learning ability.  The question was raised, is the secret to an empowering education in attending a higher income school?  Obviously every student who attends a high income school does well.  Effort plays a large factor in the education process.  Yet what about students who are home schooled, or not schooled?  Malcolm X had only finished an eighth grade education before leaving school and then getting arrested later on in life. 

.       While he was in prison, he became inspired to learn words by reading a dictionary.  H eventually mastered those words and then moved on to read book after book.  He taught himself to be literate, and is probably more-well educated than some college students.  He achieved this through self-empowerment in education.  Many schools today fail to empower children with a successful attitude.  This could be due to a lack of teacher support and encouragement, but also to a general lack of student enthusiasm.  I believe that the best chance for an empowering education lies not in a better facility but in enthusiasm to learn because a student who learns avidly has the greatest chance of being empowered through it.  Yes, some people are not as smart as others, but they still have a chance to better themselves.  Yet I must say as I do every week, an empowering education is not the answer to the problems in each society.  Only Jesus can mend the issues which plague our society.  By turning ones heart to him completely, Jesus will change the person for the better.  This ripple of change could potentially reshape whatever society turns.  Let’s pray for a revival.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you that everyone has the opportunity to better themselves. It is up to them how much effort they want to put in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the fact that students need to have the enthusiasm to learn. It truly is how the children see education that helps them succeed in life. I also agree that Jesus can mend the issues. we should pray for a revival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you one hundred percent! A person's willingness is only up to the person. People need to become enthusiastic about their learning. This enthusiasm will help anyone later on in life with anything they decide to do.

    ReplyDelete